Rules & Judges
Equipment and Effects
- At the GBOB Malaysia Final, all bands must use the same backline equipment, drum kits, and be assisted by the same stage crew. The organisers will provide high quality sound and lighting system, which all the bands will use. The organisers will also provide all drums, bass and guitar amplifiers, microphones, monitors and backline equipment used in the GBOB Malaysia Final event, as well as all sound & lighting engineers and all necessary stage crew.
- Band members will use their personal instruments such as guitars, basses and keyboards as well as any effects pedals etc. Drummers will bring their own bass drum pedal and drumsticks.
- Keyboards and any special equipment – other than personal instruments such as guitars – will be placed on stage before the concert begins and will remain there until the end of the concert.
On-stage Time and Conduct
- Playing order is determined by a draw of lots usually a day before the competition.
- Bands with a left-handed drummer will play either first or last on the bill. To keep changeover times to a minimum.
- Bands will play two songs each. The total playing time for each band must not exceed 8 minutes. This rule applies to all competition levels.
- Cover Songs are not allowed. All bands must play original music.
- All bands must play live. It is not permitted to use pre-recorded sound material or backing tracks.
- Bands going beyond their allotted playing time may be faded out and/or deducted points.
- Bands that miss their allotted on-stage time may be disqualified. If any band misses their allotted sound check or on-stage slot in a National Final or a World Final the organizers will make all efforts to fit them in elsewhere. However, if this is not possible the band is liable to be disqualified from the competition.
Sound Check. There will be no sound check in GBOB Malaysia Heats. Only the band due first on stage will be given a brief sound check to check the equipment. For GBOB Malaysia Finals, a 10-Minute Sound Check is allowed per Band. Sound checks will be allotted in reverse to the playing order, which means the band last on stage does the first sound check and the band first on stage does the last sound check. Approximate times for sound checks and on-stage times will be given to each band.
Winning Decision based on 100% Judges’ Scores. To avoid giving any local band an unfair advantage there will be no audience voting in GBOB Malaysia Finals and the results will be determined entirely by the panel of judges. The decision of the judges is final. The organisers have appointed three respected figures from the music business to act as Judges during GBOB Malaysia Finals and they are:
- Abang ROM – Founder/CEO, ROTTW (Rhythm of the Third World) Media Networks
- Saiful Freezailah – Founder, FYI Entertainment, Lead Guitarist/Vocalist Y2K band (GBOB Malaysia Champions 2006)
Rina Omar – TV Host, Emcee, Retired Rock Princess (Intoxicated band)RINA IS UNABLE TO MAKE IT DUE TO UNEXPECTED CIRCUMSTANCES.
- Pacai – Legendary Malaysian musician, bassist for band Ekamatra, composer, music arranger, sound engineer
GBOB WORLD FINAL Rules & Regulations
Recording Agreement with GBOB RECORDS. Bands participating in the GBOB World Final must agree that GBOB RECORDS can record and publish the songs played at the GBOB World Final. The band will get a portion of the profit from CD and download sales, as well as a split of publishing income.
Travel and Accommodation of World Finalists. The travel costs of getting GBOB Malaysia Finals winning band (band members only) to the GBOB World Final will be covered by GBOB Malaysia. Any excess baggage charges incurred will be the responsibility of the band. Accommodation during the World Final and catering on the day of the World Final will be covered by GBOB (band members only).
8-15 Minute Sound Check Per Band. All bands taking part in the GBOB World Finals will be given a 8-15 minute sound check. Sound checks will be allotted in reverse to the playing order, which means the band playing last on stage will do the first sound check and the band first on stage will do the last sound check. Approximate times for sound checks and on-stage times will be given to each band.
Winning Decision based on 100% Judges’ Scores. Judges during the GBOB World Final will be international music executives, respected musicians, and other professionals.